The update introduces a Starter mode available for free and the Auto-swap option.
Adobe released Character Animator 22.5 – an update to the motion capture and animation tool. The biggest change is the introduction of the Starter mode, which is available to everyone for free.
The feature offers an interface focused on performing, recording, and exporting characters. You can start animating through live performance, triggerable poses, and emotions and upgrade to the Pro version whenever you want.
Some Starter mode features:
- Starter mode offers sample puppets and allows you to import puppets.
- Drag and drop behaviors from the behavior panel on the upper right.
- You can change backgrounds using the background button.
- You can adjust the aspect ratio to scale the puppet to fit the new dimensions.
- You can preview triggerable poses, emotions, and background.
- Quick export to export your animations directly in the H264 file.
Naturally, the free mode has some restrictions. It has only a single-track timeline and doesn’t include Puppet Maker or other puppet-creation tools. You can convert Starter mode projects into Pro ones but not vice versa.
Both modes can export animations directly in the H264 file using Quick Export, but only Pro offers the Auto-swap feature that automatically switches to the pose most closely matching the character's movement.
Character Animator 22.5 is available for Windows 10 and macOS 10.15+ via All Apps subscriptions, which cost $82.49/month or $599.88/year.
Find out more about the update here and don't forget to join our new Reddit page, our new Telegram channel, follow us on Instagram and Twitter, where we are sharing breakdowns, the latest news, awesome artworks, and more.